Sunday, August 20, 2006

They're baaaaaack!!

Just when I was getting used to the fact that I could roam around campus in my snazzy little electric cart without having to utter the continual mantra of "Excuse me, pardon me" - they came back.

Just as I was getting used to be able to film all over campus - including classrooms and lecture halls - even in the middle of the day - they came back.

And just I was oh so used to not having to wade through countless bodies when going to get lunch at the cafeterias or in the food court - they came back.

Yes, you guessed it - THE STUDENTS! OK, yes, I do realize that USC IS an institution of higher learning and that, in and of itself, would lend one to assume that students would be part of the equation, but I gotta tell ya, it certainly was nice to have such a slow-paced, quiet campus the last few months.

And another thing - do these kids' parents know that their youngsters are hanging out on the campus of USC?? I look at these kids - especially the freshmen - and wonder is it just me getting older or do these kids just look younger and younger each year? They are babies!! But, looking at them does take me back to my first year of college. How exciting was that?? A first foray into real independence. And that sense of hopefulness and idealism that only an 18 year old can experience.

So, even though these kids are no doubt going to have wonderful and life-changing experiences while at USC, I do miss the sleepy campus. But maybe I should look upon the now-highly populated campus as an opportunity to hop in my little electric cart and practice some slalom maneuvers through the quad!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

Ah, yes, the whippersnappers are back! And the older we get, the younger they really do seem. Right now, the freshmen are exactly half my age! Oy! Wasn't it just the other day that I graduated high school and started at CSUN??? No, in two years will NOT be my 20th high school reunion--I refuse to let it happen, by Jove!

Let the slalom-ing commence! :D

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home