Friday, July 21, 2006

Attention Cheese Movers!

I know that I am quite behind the curve in reading the book, "Who Moved My Cheese?"” but, for my birthday, my co-worker Elijah gave me the book and I read it on the train home the other night.

For such a basic, simple book, I found it to be immensely insightful - one I would like to read again. Shoot, it only took an hour to read the entire thing; I could read it several more times!!

For those of us (actually, I am pretty sure ALL of us) who have, at one time or another, had life throw us a curve ball, I highly recommend this book. How many times have we had Change just whack us in the back of the head only to find that our very best efforts at dealing with "the relocation of our cheese"” is to sit there dumbfounded saying, "“But this isn'’t the way it was supposed to happen"” or the ever-popular pounding our fists on the table declaring, "“This is not FAIR!"”. Been there. Done that.

So this little book really made me think about the things which I have taken for granted, especially in my relationships and career. Things with which I have become all too comfortable and taken for granted. And then, in what seems to be the blink of an eye, those things change, or go away all together. This is where the fist pounding comes in.

But, as this book suggests, if we are aware that change happens -– and happens often - we can be the master of those changes instead of just being dragged along by them, while trying feverishly to hang onto our quickly disappearing past. That is not to say that we chuck everything we know and start from scratch every time, but we should do our best to make sure that we are not stagnating.

The book has a great catch phrase in it. "“What would you do if you weren'’t afraid?"”. A pretty powerful concept when you stop to think about it. Do we stay where we are because the unknown is just too, well, unknown?

So I challenge each of you to go out and move your cheese today, even if it is just a little bit. Life is not for wimps! Carpe Diem!

4 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

If YOU'RE behind the curve, I'M not even on the circle--I haven't read it yet. But it sounds like a must-read! I will definitely pick up a copy. What WOULD we do if we were not afraid? It almost seems as though when we find ourselves in situations that have become intolerable, THAT is the catalyst that causes us to lose our fear and do whatever it takes to improve things. Sometimes complacency is intolerable. But we don't see it--we mistake it for contentment. And we despise change, yet it's what we need most.

I will join you in cheese-moving, my friend!!

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no problem with my cheese being moved... the problem is that I move my own cheese too often! I guess that's better than cutting the cheese too often.....

1:24 PM  
Blogger Torie said...

The four of you are among the best cheese movers I know. You have all dealt with your share of changes and adversity and have managed to come out on top. I tip my cheese hat to you all. (Does this make me a cheese head??)

10:04 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Of course it does. And if it doesn't, I'll eat your hat...

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home