Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Metabolism is Stupid

OK, yes, perhaps having a metabolism can be helpful at times - what with that need to break down food for energy and all. But, it just seems that the older I become, the more I hear the catch phrase "Oh, your metabolism is just slowing down" as the answer to why, all of a sudden, my bathroom scale seems to be irreparably stuck in the "up" position!

After trying a low carb diet (which worked great only a few years ago BEFORE I hit the "your metabolism is slowing down" era of my life), only to find that it was no longer a successful option, I decided to go to my doctor with the odd hope that he would tell me that my thyroid was out of whack and that THAT was the reason for the sudden weight gain.

He gave me good news and not-so-good news. The good news was that my thyroid was just fine. The not-so-good news was... that my thyroid was just fine. Damn. Back to the metabolism theory.

He told me that if I wanted to stick with a low carb diet, then I had to make it a low fat diet as well. So... in other words I would be looking at a delicious culinary selection of water and lettuce! Ugh. He did however go on to tell me that "at my age" (another catch phrase that I just LOVE!) one of the best ways to increase my metabolism was to eat 6 small meals a day and work out more. He suggested that I change my evil ways of not eating breakfast and eating dinner late, and to keep each of the 6 small meals/snacks to around 200 calories each - for a total of 1200 calories a day.

Since I am not very good at writing down my caloric intake every time I eat, I decided to take the advice of a friend who had tried Jenny Craig's pre-packaged, pre-measured, pre-calorie-counted foods and had really good luck with them. I decided to give it a shot. I must say that this has certainly made me aware that, despite the fact I have always eaten fairly healthy food (although you do not want to get between me and chocolate cake!), I was eating way too large a portion of it. Even the salad bar can totally rack up the calorie counter if you put enough "stuff" on it! So, I decided to try a diet that is partially made up of Jenny Craig food and partially my own food in an effort to really understand the concept of portion reduction and be able to put it into practice right away with my own food. So far, pretty good. I was shooting for losing 8-10 lbs a month but only dropped 7 lbs this first month. No complaints, mind you. I am at least going in the right direction.

Well, I gotta go... need to take my stupid metabolism to the gym!

5 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

Ah, the old slowing down of the metabolism! Can our bodies not understand that just because we are getting chronologically older doesn't mean that we have less to do and should take it easy?? I'm not ready for two hours sleep a night and taking the elevators instead of stairs yet, a la my grandparents when they were towards the end of their lives! In other words, my body may be getting older, but I'm not aging in my lifestyle! Keep up, little M! Sheesh!

BTW--in addition to the gym, take a dance class, or just go dancing a lot with Robert! I lost half a pound overnight from last night's class! At least, I like to think it was the class...I'm willing to delude myself...

3:19 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

BTW, again--thanks for posting what your doctor said about losing weight. Now I don't have to ask MY doctor!

3:22 AM  
Blogger Torie said...

Hey, glad to have saved you a trip to the doctor's! MY bill will be in the mail! ;-)

I *should* get out and dance more - much more fun than the gym!! Congrats on the 1/2 lb!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Maybe you should ask for donations for your doctor bill from everyone who reads this post...we all have benefitted, no?

Dancing = fun! Gym = no fun...And the 1/2 pound has become 1 pound--yes!!! I have now lost 15 pounds since I've actively started the process of losing! Now kissing hereditary high blood pressure and heart disease goodbye!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Torie said...

15 lbs!! That is awesome!! You go girl!

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home